Tuesday, April 06, 2004

During my tour of duty with the Luna Stewardship Project as coxswain and research biologist I initiated an acoustic study on Luna and found the whale using three main calls that may be used to track him after relocation to the Juan de Fuca Strait. I have studied at Bamfield and identified seven new offshore killer whale calls. I have posted some photos of a lone Pseudorca named Willy I found this cetacean significantly changing behaviour around moving vessels that emit sound. I have studied bottlenose dolphin signature whistles in Mexico for an independent field research project. I have posted some recordings of their whistles along with gray whale calls and the sounds that snapping shrimp make with their claws. There are also photos of wonderful experiences in the Gray whale breeding lagoons of Baja California, Mexico.